Home / About
/ Dr. Froelicher
VICTOR F. FROELICHER, M.D.
||Date and place of birth:
||November 3, 1941; Pittsburgh, PA
||PAVAMC/Cardiology; 3801 Miranda Ave, Palo Alto, Ca 94304, Building 100, Room E2-441
||650-493-5000 ext. 64605
||Professor of Medicine, Stanford University
- Colleges and universities attended
- 1959-1963 B.A., Biology St. Vincent's College, Latrobe, PA
- 1963-1967 M.D., Medicine University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
Scholarships and academic honors
- Delta Epsilon Sigma Honors Society,1963; 98th% Biology Graduate Exam, 1963;
- Chosen for "The Best Doctors in America", 1995
- Chosen for "The Best Doctors in the Pacific Region", 1996
Postdoctoral and residency training
- 1967-1970 Internship, Wilford Hall, United States Air Force Medical Center, San Antonio, TX
- 1970-1972 Cardiology Fellowship University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
- Military Service
- 1966-1977 U.S. Air Force (School of Aerospace Medicine and Wilford Hall)
- Last rank: Lt. Colonel USAFMC
- 3/76-8/77 Assistant Clinical Professor, University of San Antonio, TX
- 7/77-12/83 Assistant Professor of Medicine then Associate Professor of Medicine (1980) University Of California Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- 1/84-12/91 Professor of Medicine University Of California Medical Center, Irvine, CA
- 1/84-12/91 Assistant Chief, Cardiology Division, University Of California Medical Center, Irvine, CA
- 1//92-10/31/93 Clinical Professor of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- 11/1/93-6/30/95 Acting Professor of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Medical School and Departmental Activities
- 7/72-7/74 Chief, Cardiovascular Division Director, Cardiovascular Catheterization Laboratory U.S.A.F. School of Aerospace Medicine Brooks Air Force Base, TX
- 7/72-6/76 Director, Exercise Laboratory U.S.A.F. School of Aerospace Medicine Brooks Air Force Base, TX
- 7/76-6/77 Assistant Chief, Cardiology Service U.S. Air Force Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, TX
- 7/77-12/83 Director and Attending Physician; Cardiac Rehabilitation and Exercise Testing University Of California Medical Center and V.A. Medical Center San Diego, CA
- 12/83-12/91 Chief, Cardiology Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Long Beach, CA
- 1/92-Present Director, ECG and Exercise Testing Laboratories Palo Alto Veterans Affairs Health Care systems, Palo Alto, CA
- 1977-1980 Preceptorships, "Introduction to Clinical Medicine", University of California Medical Center, San Diego
- 1977-1983 Clerkship Sponsor, American Heart Association, U.C. Medical Center, San Diego
- 1977-1978 Clerkship Sponsor, Uniformed Services, University of the Health Sciences, U.C. Medical Center, San Diego
- 1977-1983 Medical School Student Advisor, U.C. Medical Center, San Diego
- 1977, 1979, Medical School Student Advisor, Concentrated Study, U.C. Medical and 1981 Center, San Diego
- 1985-1988 Director, " Introduction to Medicine" (course), University of California, Irvine
- 1989-1992 Director, Integrated Cardiology Fellowship Program, University of California, Irvine Memorial Medical Center of Long Beach, and Long Beach VA Medical Center
- 1992-1997 Facilitator PCM-C and Instructor PCM-B, Developed Cardiovascular Module PCM-C 1995,6,7
Public and Professional Service
- 1978-1983 Utilization Review Committee, PSRO, University Hospital University of California Medical Center, San Diego
- 1992-1996 Utilization Review Committee, PAVAMC
- 1978-1979 Award for Medical Director, YMCA Project Upbeat, San Diego, California
- 1979-1984 National Institutes of Health Committee on Specialized Centers for Organized Research in Atherosclerosis
- 1981 Volunteer of the Year, YMCA Project Upbeat, San Diego, California
- 1981-1994 Chairmen/Member Subcommittee Exercise/Cardiac Rehabilitation, American Heart Association
- 1982 ACC/AHA Ad Hoc Task Force on Assessment of Cardiovascular Procedures and the Subcommittee to Assess Exercise Stress Testing
- 1983-1984 National Institutes of Health Consensus Committee on Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- 1986 ACC/AHA Ad Hoc Task Force on Cardiac Rehabilitation
- 1986-1987 National Institutes of Health Committee on Exercise Intervention Funding Directives
- 1986-1988 Board Member, Long Beach American Heart Association and Grant Reviewer for California American Heart Association
- 1988 American College of Physicians Task Force for Developing Guidelines for Internists' Performing Exercise Tests
- 1986, 1987 NIH Visiting Scientist, Hungarian Heart Institute, Budapest
- 1995 ACSM Expert Writing Panel for Exercise Guidelines, 5th Edition
- 1996 ACC/AHA Task Force and Expert Writing Panel for Exercise Testing Guidelines
- 1976-1977 Participant, Task Force II, 8th Bethesda Conference, Bethesda, Maryland
- 1979-1984 Member, Continuing Education Committee, American College of Sports Medicine
- 1980-1986 Consultant, American Medical Association Scientific Council on Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Cardiac Rehabilitation
- 1980-Present Member, Board of Trustees, Medical and Education Committee, American College of Sports Medicine
- 1982-1990 Council Member, American Medical Association Panel, Diagnostic and Therapeutics Technology Assessment (DATTA)
- 1983 Consultant, World Health Organization (WHO)
- 1988-Present Expert Reviewer, U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, "Guide to Clinical Preventive Services"
- 1989 Consultant to President's Council on Physical Fitness
- 1989-Present Member, European Working Group on Exercise Testing and Rehabilitation
- 1989-1994 Member, Planning Committee for Annual Scientific Sessions, American Heart Association
- 1990-Present Member, ad hoc Board of the Scientific Council on Rehabilitation, International Society and Federation of Cardiology
- 1991-1994 Chairman, American Heart Association Subcommittee on Cardiac Rehabilitation
- 1976-Present Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- 1976-Present Fellow, American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology
- 1977-Present Fellow, American Heart Association Council of Clinical Cardiology
- 1979-Present Member, American Federation for Clinical Research
- 1981-Present Member, International Society and Federation of Cardiology
- 1981-Present Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine
- 1982-Present Fellow, American College of Physicians
- 1985-Present Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- 1986-Present Founding Fellow, American Association of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Editorial Boards
- Circulation, 1981-1983, 1991-1994
- American Heart Journal, 1981-1997
- Cardiology, 1981-Present
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 1981-1985, 1987-1991
- Journal of Cardiac Rehabilitation, (founded 1981); co-editor (with Michael Pollock, Ph.D.); now known as the Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, 1981-1991
- The Journal of Noninvasive Cardiology, 1988-Present
- Clinical Cardiology, 1988-Present
- Chest, 1989-Present
- American Journal of Cardiology, 1992-Present
- American Journal of Geriatric Cardiology,1992-Present
Professional Certification Boards
- Archives of Internal Medicine, Annals of Internal Medicine, Medicine Science and Sport, Heart and Lung, New England Journal of Medicine, American Journal of Epidemiology, American Journal of Physiology, Journal of Clinical Investigation, Journal of American Medical Association, Arthritis and Rheumatism, Journal of Electrocardiography, Circulation, American Journal of Cardiology
- 1975-Present Reviewer, Annual Scientific Sessions (abstracts): American College of Cardiology; American Heart Association and European Congress of Cardiology
- 1980-1991 Co-Editor, Journal of Cardio Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- American Board of Internal Medicine, 1972
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Diseases, 1977
- Alabama, 1971; #5548
- Texas, 1974; #E2013
- California, 1977; #G35133
Member, Guidelines for Exercise Testing Writing Teams
- 1978 Principal Investigator, ICI Americas, Inc.: "Atenolol drug study"
- 1979-1985 Co-Investigator, NIH Ischemic Heart Disease Specialized Center of Research (SCOR): "Unit #2-Effects of exercise training on left ventricular function and perfusion" "Unit #4 - Digitized ECG/VCG data base for evaluation of automatic measurement"
- 1980-1982 Principal Investigator, CIBA-GEIGY: "Nitro-bandaid, exercise test assessment"
- 1982-1984 Principal Invest., Warner-Lambert: "Long-acting nitrate and anaerobic threshold"
- 1983 Principal Investigator, NIH RO1-PERFEXT: "A randomized study of the effects of exercise training on the hearts of patients with coronary disease"
- 1984-1987 Principal Investigator, Pfizer: "Angina study"
- 1985 Principal Investigator, "VA RAGS Proposal"
- 1986-1987 Principal Investigator, "VA Merit Proposal"
- 1986-1988 Co-Investigator, Biomed Foscuman: "Fructose diphosphate studies in normals and patients with peripheral vascular disease"
- 1986-1988 Co-Investigator, Syntex Laboratories: "Nicardipine for angina and respiratory gas analysis"
- 1986-1988 Co-Investigator, SKF Pharmaceuticals: " Ibopamine for CHF"
- 1986-1988 Co-Investigator, Boots Pharmaceuticals: "Flosequinan for CHF"
- 1986-1992 Co-Investigator, VA Cooperative Study # 308: "Atrial fibrillation"
- 1986-1988 Co-Investigator, Marion Laboratories: "Diltiazem IV for atrial fibrillation"
- 1988-1990 Principal Investigator, HSR&D Project IIR #87-148: "Risk prediction in patients with coronary artery disease"
- 1989-1996 Co-Principal Investigator, VA Cooperative Trial #327, now CSHS #16: "Multicenter optical disk ECG and quantitative angiographic analysis or QUEXTA"
- 1989-1994 Co-Investigator, Sterling Laboratories: "Milrinone for CHF"
- 1989-1994 Co-Investigator, Syntex Laboratories: "Ranolazine for angina"
- 1989-1993 Co-Investigator, Key Pharmaceuticals: "Nitro-Dur for angina"
- 1992 Co-Investigator, RAGS VA Proposal: "Multi-ECG Body surface mapping"
- 1992-1995 Investigator, Gensia Pharmaceuticals, "ECG
- 1995-1996 SciMed, ECG Coordinating Center
Software and Multi media Productions
- 1990 and 1995 American Heart Association
- 1995 American College of Sports Medicine
- 1986 and 1996 American College Cardiology/ American Heart Association
- EXTRA - Expert System exercise test reporting aide published by Mosby Publishers, 1996
- The Froelicher Exercise Test collection on CDROM, 1996
- Cardiac Stress Testing for the Primary Care Physician on videotape published by CMEA, Inc, 1996
A list of over 100 publications is available upon request